- First dibs on new items.
- That includes designer collaborations—if you’re into that sort of thing.
- The right to reserve items.
- Invites to special events. (And let us tell you: The British know how to throw a party.)
- But most importantly, a style-savvy friend who’s not just out to make the sale, but to find what actually works for you. (Because if you don’t like it, you can take it back.)
That’s how it goes. Look good, feel good, and then you’ll do good.
It’s just like that, people. So, here is your cheat sheet.
Go ahead, log off the latest Lifehacker/Gizmodo/Reddit article and give this a glimpse.
The bag, a Levenger, a gift from his dad eight years ago. Perfect for carrying plenty of reading material—and Blake’s an avid reader. The first few times we ran into each other, he sent me home with a couple of thick books by Fyodor Dostoevsky and Paul Auster. In turn, I loaned him Boss by Mike Royko. (When am I going to get that back, by the way?)
“A week before I went on my honeymoon, I knew I wanted these shoes. The folks over at Quoddy were nice enough to rush the shipping ensure my travels would be comfortable and classic,” Blake says.
Colored denim. You’re seeing ‘em on the ladies and some of the more trend-driven men on campus, in the streets, on the runways and in the magazines.
Worth spending your money on? Your call.
Run through this checklist of questions. If you answer “no” to a majority of these, then I suggest investing elsewhere:
- Do you have a well-loved pair of dark wash, selvedge denim you can wear every day?
- Do you have a sharp pair of dark grey chinos to throw on for a change?
- Do you have a slick pair of black jeans to pair with a classic desert boot?
- Do you have a broken-in pair of corduroys you can toss on with a sweater?
If you don’t have any of the items above, I’d consider focusing on those before you stop at the front of the store with the “latest and greatest” trends companies are pushing.
I answered yes, so I found a cheap pair from Uniqlo. In this case, wine-colored denim.
“I’m going to geek out on your neck line for 15 minutes, cool?”
Happy Labor Day! Enjoy your extended weekend, friends!
So grab your (Boulevard) beer.
Round up your horse.
your horse summer goodbye.