Category Archives: field notes
Ladies and gentlemen, NorthernGRADE is coming to Chicago. This edition of the legendary pop-up market will be produced by our friends over at Well Spent
and Pierrepont Hicks
, so if you’re in town you’ve really got no excuse for missing out on the festivities.
Having been to Minneapolis, the place where it all started, we saw firsthand what all the fuss is about and we can tell you that NorthernGRADE
is one of the gems of the Midwest. You can expect beer, camaraderie, and damn fine American-made goods. But don’t believe what you’re reading here: take our word for it.
When: Saturday, Oct. 27 (10am – 6pm)
Who: Made-in-the-USA vendors!
- Penelope’s (Sponsor) – Chicago, IL
- Haberdash (Sponsor) – Chicago, IL
- Red Wing - Red Wing, MN
- Tellason - San Francisco, CA
- Winter Session - Chicago, IL
- Pierrepont Hicks - Minneapolis, MN
- Oak St. Bootmakers - Chicago, IL
- Independence - Chicago, IL
- Portland General Store – Portland, ME
- Field Notes - Chicago, IL
- Archival Clothing – Eugene, OR
- MidNorth Mercantile - Minneapolis, MN
- Stormy Kromer – Ironwood, MI
- Sir & Madame - Chicago, IL
- Locally Grown - Des Moines, IA
- Corter Leather – Boston, MA
- Inland Clothing – Chicago, IL
- Heritage Bicycles - Chicago, IL
- Drift Eyewear - Chicago, IL
- The Age of Millenials.
Word of advice: Don’t let your mother pick out your suit and get off the teat, pal.
- Ladies, a few of our friends from around town weigh in on what Chicago guys think about what you’re wearing. (Refinery 29)
- Another for the ladies: We dished our favorite spring style tips for you to forward on to the dude, brother, man, roommate in your life. (Refinery 29)
Don’t forget them deals:
Huckberry and The Art of Manliness
have teamed up this week to bring you a sale that includes Criquet organic polos (take 25%), Leatherhead sports equipment (take 20%), Field Notes (take 20%) and military watches (take 10%). Ends June 7.
Spring? Oh yeah, it should be here by now.
But it’s not.
Welcome to Midwest weather.
How does one make it by, yearning for spring but still in the cold?
These are my digs that I’ve pleased to be incorporating into my wardrobe. It can be 40s in the morning but then hike up to 60s in the afternoon. So I’m prepared with a great mid-weight, unlined jacket and a mid-weight pant. Throwing in a madras tie beckons spring, so try that, too. And if you’re still cold when the sun sets, end your evening with a night cap.
Slim straight leg, front cargo pocket mushroom pants (retail, sale $20, reg. $68) by Levi’s, 30×34; short-sleeve button down (Standard Style, sale $50 reg. $140) by Apolis Activism, small; graphed “Balsam Fir” notebook (Renegade Handmade, three for $10) by Field Notes; brown leather belt with brass hardware (sale $4.99) by J.Crew, size 32; unlined brown canvas utility jacket (Michigan Avenue Levi’s, sale $32 [$44 - 30% sale] reg. $198) by Levi’s, small; plaid tie (thrifted, $1); bottle of Knob Creek (refrigerator) courtesy of my roommate’s wallet, size weekend.