A throwback, but some wise words about spending and thrift—but nary the twain shall meet. http://www.effortlessgent.com/when-to-spend-vs-when-to-save/
A splendid week is ahead of us up in Chicago. It’ll be a weekend of pumpkin-patching, porched-in-beer-drinking and shenanigans around the city.
- Also: Seth and I got invited to gab about #menswear and #blogging by the rad people of Laundry Magazine at the Grow Here Workshop. We’d love to see you there!
Here’s a batch of things that I’ve been enjoying lately.
If you’re in the Midwest, drink that beer.
If you’re in Barnes & Noble, buy that magazine.
If you get dragged into Anthropologie by your girlfriend, buy that candle.
(I go willingly, whatevs.)
What’s happening in the style commune:
Despite our trickery in the past, we will really be tearing things up here
this weekend. Bonus.
So, in honor of Mizzou’s 100th Homecoming this weekend (and hence the 100th Homecoming ever, since, you know, Mizzou invented it
), a photo from our archives
Enjoy your weekend. We know we will.
Around the interwebz:
- The folks over at Fossil created a rad graphic and featured us on their blog. (Fossil)
- Ryan shoots a little mixer at Connect featuring Outlier. [You_Have_Broken_The_Internet]
- It’s cooling down. We definitely want to throw this on our
mattresses on the floor beds. (Pendleton)
- Great new winter gear over at Need Supply, Wharf, Apolis and Steven Alan.
- Put This On gives their weekly eBay round-up. Stock up on some well-loved gear that needs a good home! (Put This On)
- Really nice belts for a really nice price. (Well-Spent)
- What’s neater than toddlers and selvedge denim? Toddlers in selvedge denim. (Baldwin Denim)
Is it Friday already? Guess that means we’ll be living it up here
this weekend. Hope you see you there.
In the meantime, in between reading poignant profiles of Steve Jobs
, here are just a few style-related stories you should check out:
- “No one really thought about why glasses were so expensive.” The founders of Warby Parker explain how they subverted the eyewear industry and brought us spectacles that don’t break the bank. (via Racked via Time)
- Rugby brings the Tweed Run to New York City. Get thee to the streets. (via Marion Brewer)
- And the funniest thing you’ll read today: Chelsea Fagan for Thought Catalog on what the hell is going on with street-style photography. (via Marion Brewer)
That’s all. What? You’re still here? Go. Go on.
Cameron lost his Timex and Corter for Japan bracelet in North Carolina earlier this summer. What should he replace them with? Suggestions welcome.
Quickly, to what you may have missed this week:
- If you read nothing else, read this: GQ‘s article on Jesse Thorn of Put This On. It’s one of the most interesting style reads I’ve seen lately, and there’s just too much good philosophy on the importance of dressing well to list here. Here’s some: “What Thorn offers is a measure of practicality and instruction, and allows the average man, without stylist or sponsor, to develop a responsibility for his appearance. He doesn’t consider himself an authority—more like an advocate.” Just read it. (via GQ)
- Earlier, we posted about hand-written notes and why you should be sending more of them. Last night, I had a dream that my favorite pen (the Pilot G2 .38, of course) went off the market. So, a nightmare, actually. Is this the best pen in the world? Yes. But feel free to discuss. (via my overactive dream mind)
- Finally, something useful: Shani Silver, the editor of Refinery 29 Chicago, has some sure-fire ways to win that eBay bidding war you’ve been engaging in over that Gant Rugger shirt you found for cheap. (via Refinery 29)
Okay, that’s all. We’ll be hanging out here this weekend. We’ve heard it’s off the hook.