The gemstone Garnet can be found in many colors: yellow, green, purple, blue and black—but most widely known is the red Garnet. Characterized by its deep scarlet color, it’s been a jewelry mainstay since the Bronze Age.
Now that we have the history out of the way, I can talk about why Garnet is this month’s hue. I remember last fall seeing just a hint of dark red floating around the style sphere. However, I did not see much, and it seemed to be almost more of a purple than a red. So I crossed my fingers and waited patiently for this fall, and what do you know: Garnet is everywhere. Needless to say, I bought it up. We’re talking watch bands, merino sweaters, socks and yes, even cereal bowls.
Now, lets talk #menswear. By now you’re probably catching on to some of my favorite labels. Here’s some more fodder.
1. Baldwin does it again. At this point, you’re probably familiar with this staple. It’s just a really fine hat. Go say hi to Cameron or David and pick one up.
2. Saturdays Surf NYC has created the perfect chunky sweater: The Keith Cable Knit Sweater. Grab your rubber boots, ‘cuz we’re going fishing (on a boat, in Ireland). I think the cable knit sweater is an iconic piece that’s great for the wardrobe; the key is getting one that’s chunky but not too chunky. You want the sweater to look chunky, not you.
3. This is a bit of a new idea for me, since I’ve never owned a pair of corduroys, especially red ones. But if I’m going to be breaking boundaries, I might as well do it with the help of Ovadia & Sons—one of my favorite new designers. I think these could be pulled of with the right cardigan, a nice oxford, and a pair of double monks.
4. Add this little J.Crew pocket square for a bit of color and flair to your favorite suit jacket. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
5. This one’s for any guy ever: super easy jacket, great for a muted color without being in your face about it. You can snatch it up at Top Man. Attention: They’ve got a student discount, too!
What colors are you guys into this season?