Meet our newest contributor, Joe Walker. We could tell you all about him, but we think he does it better. Joe, take it away!
Remember that time someone told you, “College is the best time of your life”? Yeah, they should have said: “College is increasingly difficult, and you will be so busy that you will forget to eat and pay your bills and shower.”
Real talk aside, I really do love college and am grateful to be in school. I’m a fashion design student at Johnson County Community College. Our test questions tend to go something like this: “True OR false: Pink is the ‘it’ color for spring.”
Kidding. Fashion design is actually pretty intense. Most days, you can find me muttering expletives at the sewing machine and trying to draw a straight line with a ruler. I wish I were joking.
Besides school, I work two jobs: a barista and a personal stylist. I spend my mornings and a few evenings a week on campus at our three coffee shops. If you’re thinking, “I wonder if he is the tall guy who is constantly singing…” then you would be correct, and yes, you did interrupt my song to order. When I’m not whipping mochas and icing lattes, I am living in the world of retail. I work on Country Club Plaza at J.Crew, as the Men’s Personal Stylist, and if you’re in the KCMO region, I might have helped you size your suit or find that pair of jeans.
In my spare time, you can find me drowning in copious amounts of chocolate ice cream, making new “to-do lists” and raiding my Netflix account
Given that I’m constantly in the fashion frame of mind, I’m always thinking about my clothing wants/needs. (Okay, okay, mostly wants.) As fall settles in, I’ve been craving chunky knits, warm wool blazers, and flannel shirts. Between my three major areas of life, I have different needs, so my lists often become somewhat eclectic. Which is why I usually shoot for items items that seem to never go out of style. Here’s what’s on my wish list at the moment.
1. Ludlow Club Sportcoat in Italian Wool Flannel: This is a great three season wool jacket that is super easy to wear and very versatile. The wool flannel is softer and lighter than tweed, and the patch pockets give it a cool vintage vibe. $425.
2.Chuck Taylor Classic: Duh. $50.
3. Ray-Ban Club Master: These have a great retro vibe to them that I really dig. Around $100.
4. Todd Snyder NY x Champion Jersey Cardigan: Again, this has a great retro vibe that I’m into. I love the play on the preppy stripe on the sleeve. $115.
5. Timex Originals Classic Round Wristwatch: This watch is so freakin’ awesome and I have been crushing on it for six months. I need to get it. It also comes in black, but I love how versatile the grey is, as well as the modern and clean aesthetic. $65.
6. Flannel Work Shirt: I am really picky about plaid patterns, but this one really rocks. I really like the scale and colors involved in the prints. I can definitely see myself wearing this with a driving moccasin and dark denim. $64.50.